Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Pics

Me and my friends from school at one of our asados! ( from left Luciano with Camila´s dog Machu, Nacho, Franco´s cousin, Roman, Carlos, Valentina, Franco, Camila, Jorge, Me, Hernan)

This is the military building that overlooks the city. It is also a popular place for weding ceremonies. I went here with Jorge and a cousin who lives in Santiago on a bus tour of the city that was free as a promotion thing from the city!


A typical street store with a saying that I liked.


Buildings along the Plaza de Armas en el centro de La Serena. The red building is a municipal building, the white is a museum I went to and the last is the cathedral.


New food! This is a tomato with tuna fish inside and veges on the side.


Me and my two sisters Conny and Caro getting ready before going to a discoteca. Discos are a big part of typical life for the younger people, the one we went to was called Babylon and was one where people go just to listen to music but there are others where everyone dances. I don´t have pics of the place because it was better that I blended in!


Camila, her sister Natalia, me , and a performer at a restaurant in Santiago. This was taken at 10:30 pm but that´s a normal time for dinner here.

Santiago looking from the hill where the Spanish claimed the city.




Santiago. Here we saw a bunch of street performers and even a group doing a history alive presentation of how the spanish took over the city despite the wishes of the natives.



Camila and I outside the Moneda (equivalent of the white house). I couldn´t get over the fact that there was practically zero security. You could walk up and look in the windows, enter the plaza without a bag check, and there weren´t police officers everywhere either.



Coquimbo harbor. The pelicans here are the size of me but are too fast so I have a bunch of pictures of blurry flying objects :)


Me in Coquimbo. Coquimbo is only about a 15 minute colectivo ride from my house in La Serena but I´ve only been there twice because it is a lot more dangerous than La Serena. Everything there is either really beautiful or really not. I haven´t been to the 3rd millenium cross yet but I´ve been told I have to see it before I go home so its on my list to do!


This is my host family´s house at 1302 Carlos Naranjo








Me in Parque Japon which was a gift to the city of La Serena by Japan. Years ago, Japan and La Serena had one of the major trade routes across the Pacific. Still today lots of trade occurs between Chile and Japan.

No comments: