Sunday, May 17, 2009

My First Orientation

Orientation was so much fun today, I got an AFS t-shirt! But really, the best part was being able to talk to the returnees who just got back and were able to answer our questions and share their own experiences. So much advice in such a short period of time...research as much as I can but don't have too many expectations, make an effort to make plans with friends and be included, pay attention to little pieces of culture, and a lot of advice that at the core meant always keep your safety in mind and use good judgment and common sense. It was really cool to have the chance to talk to some of the other kids who are getting ready to go abroad. I even met another girl who is going to be going to Chile this summer so now when I arrive in Miami I'll recognize someone there. Listening to the other kids talk about their host countries made me wish I could go to them all. Just in my one class of 20 kids going on summer programs there were kids heading to Italy, France, Finland, Thailand, Japan, Argentina, Ecuador, Panama, and even Ghana. Then at lunch I sat with some kids who were looking forward to spending their senior year in Germany which is an idea that just blows my mind away. I think it was good for my dad too, although the examples of everything that could go wrong didn't really reassure him, I think he better understands now that it doesn't matter how much research, information, advice, and examples of other people's experiences he can give me because my experience is going to be something completely unique. He can't change the world for me but trust that I'll adapt to the world. I had such a great time today and it makes the wait seem sooooooo much farther away. Just 36 more days to go!

1 comment:

Neetneets. said...

hola! I saw your blog on the AFS blog, and I'm an AFSer in Chile also, but arrived in Feb :) I'm 5 hours north of La Serena. You'll have a great time in Chile!