Monday, June 29, 2009

Estoy en Chile

Wow, I can´t believe I´m actually here!! I arrived in La Serena at 5:30 pm the daybefore yesterday and everything has been so new and amazing. Before I got here I went to an orientation in Miami and then an orientation in Santiago. It was great to meet other foreign exchange students and weall became really good friends. It was wierd how we were all treating eachother like we´ve been best friends for ages and then we realized that we didn´t even know eachothers´last names. Anyway, when I got to the La Serena airport I met Jorge and Conny who are awesome and so excited that I´m here. They brought me to my house and we dumped my stuff and had time for a quick tour before we went to their Aunt´s house for onces. From there we went to a baby shower and then they threw mea welcoming party-It didn´t even start until 11:30 and I was up until 5. They really do know how to party here! Today I went with my family to the supermarket which was more like a super walmart and a restaurant on the beach for a parrillada, or bbq. Then I went with Jorge to a lady´s house to buy my school uniform because guess what, school starts tomorrow! They loved the presents I brought and were especially excited to try the salt water taffy. I´m having so much fun here, I´ll upload pictures soon!
Things I´ve Noticed Since I Arrived: -people of all ages wear velcro shoes -blue is not a common color for a house but bright orange and yellow are -there are dogs absolutely everywhere -I actually fit in pretty well and no one stares at me; until I open my mouth and then I´m called gringa (yankee or American) -It´s normal for people to call me ´sister´ because I am the sister of the people they know

2 comments:

Sr. Almeida said...

¡Kathy! Me alegro de que finalmente hayas llegado a tu destino. No has perdido nada por acá porque el tiempo ha estado terrible. Ha llovido casi todos los días. ¿Has notada algo diferente del Español chileno? Me imagino que la pronunciación sea diferente. Bueno, me voy porque tengo que cuidarles a mis hijos. Espero que te diviertas en Chile. Escribe más noticias.

Jenna said...

Kathy,

I am so proud of you!!! Thinking of you on the 4th!!! And we look forward to reading all about your experiences in Chile!

Love,
Jenna (your dad's cousin!!!)